Skip to main content

Methodology vs. Methods

This was a question that came up on one of the first zoom calls of this module and I am finally at the point in my own journey where I am ready to answer this for myself - what is the difference between methodology and method?


Helen described the differences in the plain understanding of:
Methodology - The approach you are going to take
Method - How you are going to gather the data?

What kind of approaches are there to research?

Well one of the big ones here is that we are going to be doing Qualitative Research over Quantitative, I have an earlier blog about what Qualitative Research actually is, but now I am looking into what Methodology in the realm of Qualitative Research will I be using. Here are a few of the approaches I came across:


1. Narrative Research
This research is used to form a cohesive story, or narrative, by way of consolidating several events from a small group of people. It involves running in-depth interviews and reading up on documents featuring similar actions as a means of theme-searching. The point of this is to discover how one narrative is shaped by larger contextual influences.

2. Ethnographic Research
The most common qualitative research method, ethnography relies on entrenching oneself in various participant environments to extract challenges, goals, themes and cultures. As the name suggests, it involves taking an ethnographic approach to research, meaning that researchers would experience an environment themselves to draw research. Using this firsthand observation, the researcher would not need to then rely on interviews or surveys.

3. Phenomenological Research
This qualitative method entails researchers having to probe a phenomenon or event by bringing lived experiences to light and then interpreting them. In order to achieve this, researchers use several methods in combination. These include conducting surveys, interviews and utilising secondary research such as available documents and videos on the studied phenomenon. Additionally, as in ethnographic research, phenomenological research involves visiting places to collect research.

4. Grounded Theory Research
In contrast to phenomenological research, which seeks to fully form the core of an issue, grounded theory attempts to find explanations (the why) behind an issue. To achieve this, researchers use interviews, surveys and secondary research to form a theory around the issue/occurrence.

5. Action Research

This type of research involves researchers and participants working collaboratively to bring theory to practice. Also called participatory research, collaborative inquiry, emancipatory research and action learning, this method entails the act of “learning by doing.” This means a group of researchers come together to find and address a problem, resolve it and then study the success of their endeavours. If they underperformed or their outcomes don’t satisfy their expectations, they would then reattempt the process.


What kind of methods should I use to collect my data?

As you can already see above, some types of data collection go hand in hand with the methodology you choose for your inquiry. This is something I will need to take into consideration when making my decisions. For now I have taken a look at a wide range of methods and here are just a few of the ones I came across:

1. Open-Ended Surveys and Questionnaires
Opposite to closed-ended are open-ended surveys and questionnaires. The main difference between the two is the fact that closed-ended surveys offer predefined answer options the respondent must choose from, whereas open-ended surveys allow the respondents much more freedom and flexibility when providing their answers.
Here’s an example that best illustrates the difference:
Closed vs. Open-Ended Question2. 1-on-1 Interviews
One-on-one (or face-to-face) interviews are one of the most common types of data collection methods in qualitative research. Here, the interviewer collects data directly from the interviewee. Due to it being a very personal approach, this data collection technique is perfect when you need to gather highly-personalised data. Depending on your specific needs, the interview can be informal, unstructured, conversational, and even spontaneous (as if you were talking to your friend) – in which case it’s more difficult and time-consuming to process the obtained data – or it can be semi-structured and standardised to a certain extent (if you, for example, ask the same series of open-ended questions).
3. Focus groups
The focus groups data collection method is essentially an interview method, but instead of being done 1-on-1, here we have a group discussion. Whenever the resources for 1-on-1 interviews are limited (whether in terms of people, money, or time) or you need to recreate a particular social situation in order to gather data on people’s attitudes and behaviours, focus groups can come in very handy.
4. Direct observation
Direct observation is one of the most passive qualitative data collection methods. Here, the data collector takes a participatory stance, observing the setting in which the subjects of their observation are while taking down notes, video/audio recordings, photos, and so on.
Due to its participatory nature, direct observation can lead to bias in research, as the participation may influence the attitudes and opinions of the researcher, making it challenging for them to remain objective. Plus, the fact that the researcher is a participant too can affect the naturalness of the actions and behaviours of subjects who know they’re being observed.

Bibliography
Pollfish. (Unknown), The Complete Guide to Qualitative Market Research, [Online], https://resources.pollfish.com/survey-guides/the-complete-guide-to-qualitative-market-research/, [Accessed 24/02/21]
Jovancic,N. (2019), 5 Data Collection Methods for Obtaining Quantitative and Qualitative Data, [Online], https://www.leadquizzes.com/blog/data-collection-methods/, [Accessed 24/02/21]

Comments

  1. Hi Georgina! Great research on research methods! I have researched this briefly, but didn't want to look into this too much as I wasn't sure what methods would be suitable for my inquiry, so this has been really helpful. I think 1-1 interviews is definitely a good way of collecting data as it seems to fit well with the type of research we will do! Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice, yes after researching I decided that 1-1 interviews are my preferred method of data collection for this inquiry. I think it will be the best way for me to get peoples stories and experiences whilst keeping the conversation open ended (my way of trying to avoid presumptions and getting people to give a specific answer) x

      Delete
    2. Yes I definitely agree! Thank you! Hope all is going well x

      Delete
  2. Hi Georgina I totally wish I had stumbled across this blog a few months ago! A great explanation of all the data collection methods!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Literature review tips

First of all I just want to disclose that I have never in my life written a literature review, nor do I claim to be an expert on the topic. But I've spent the last couple of days researching what the literature review actually is, how it can be approached and the do's and don'ts so I thought I would put together this little blog that will hopefully help at least one other person. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on 'What is a literature review' but if like me your head feels like its going to explode if you read one more book or article you might find this helpful: 1. The module handbook has most of the core information you need about a literature review - read it again! 2. 'Doing your research project' by Judith Bell and Stephen Waters  - Part 1 Chapters 6 and 7 has further information on Literature Searching and then The Review of the Literature. 3. If like me you've read all of this over and over but you still don't really understand  what

How do you link your data through analysis and reflection?

Tonight I was finally able to make the module 3 call and it was everything I needed at this point in the inquiry process. Before we started Helen read a excerpt from the KORTEXT  "nothing is lost, but we can get lost in it"  What we're saying here is that its not how we get the data for our inquiry, all research is valuable, but how do we figure out what to do with it? This was one of my biggest questions and the part of the inquiry that I felt I was hitting a wall with - the analysis. First of all Helen reminded us of some key points when thinking about the analysis section of the report: Do something with the data - don't include 'raw' data in your report, yes you can use quotes to support your themes but make sure you do something with them. Reflect on what research you have gathered - what relationship does the data have to the lens of your professional practice? What does it mean to you? Analysis is a process - more often than not you will step away fr

Onwards and upwards... Starting Module 2

 I can't believe the blog I am about to write is about starting Module 2?! The last time I blogged I had just completed my first draft of my Module 1 essay and I hadn't even started my diagram - it's safe to say that my work/life balanced took a huge hit at the end of last year and every time I thought about sitting down to blog or read what other people were sharing, something else came up. This is something I am actively looking to change throughout Module 2 so as they say... onwards and upwards! The open discussion from Wednesday morning was the first I have ever been able to make - usually I work full days but with the current lockdown I have been lucky enough to have a little bit of extra time.  The discussion group was mainly made up of Module 1 and 2 students with a few Module 3 students which was an absolute godsend! I think I speak for every Module 2 students when I say anytime someone asks a question I would find myself staring through the screen at the Module 3 g