Skip to main content

Literature review tips

First of all I just want to disclose that I have never in my life written a literature review, nor do I claim to be an expert on the topic. But I've spent the last couple of days researching what the literature review actually is, how it can be approached and the do's and don'ts so I thought I would put together this little blog that will hopefully help at least one other person.

I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on 'What is a literature review' but if like me your head feels like its going to explode if you read one more book or article you might find this helpful:

1. The module handbook has most of the core information you need about a literature review - read it again!


2. 'Doing your research project' by Judith Bell and Stephen Waters - Part 1 Chapters 6 and 7 has further information on Literature Searching and then The Review of the Literature.


3. If like me you've read all of this over and over but you still don't really understand what it is we have to do, like you know what is required but you still don't feel like you know how to do it then take a look at the following YouTube video:

https://www.scribbr.co.uk/thesis-dissertation/literature-review/

I came across this video after almost tearing my hair out at the idea of the literature review and I can honestly say it has really helped to put my mind at ease over what I saw as quite a daunting task.

The video is broken down into an introduction, a quick run through and then 5 easy steps. This way you can refer back to the video if needed at the stage you currently find yourself at throughout the review. 

If reading is your thing then there is a whole detailed run through of essentially what is in the video but for me it was nice to give my eyes a break for 10 minutes and let my ears do the work!


Bibliography

McCombes. S, (2020), How to write a literature review, [Online], https://www.scribbr.co.uk/thesis-dissertation/literature-review/, [Accessed 21/02/21]



Comments

  1. Hi Georgina,

    Thanks for this! YES!!! Literature review - yeah I know what is required but I don't know how to go about doing it! THANK YOU. The YouTube post is really useful.
    Good luck to you, Lauren x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Onwards and upwards... Starting Module 2

 I can't believe the blog I am about to write is about starting Module 2?! The last time I blogged I had just completed my first draft of my Module 1 essay and I hadn't even started my diagram - it's safe to say that my work/life balanced took a huge hit at the end of last year and every time I thought about sitting down to blog or read what other people were sharing, something else came up. This is something I am actively looking to change throughout Module 2 so as they say... onwards and upwards! The open discussion from Wednesday morning was the first I have ever been able to make - usually I work full days but with the current lockdown I have been lucky enough to have a little bit of extra time.  The discussion group was mainly made up of Module 1 and 2 students with a few Module 3 students which was an absolute godsend! I think I speak for every Module 2 students when I say anytime someone asks a question I would find myself staring through the screen at the Module 3 g...

Module 3 Submission

Firstly a massive CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who has submitted their work and to those still working - you've got this! Submitting my work for the final time last week felt amazing! Looking back at my journey from module one I can't believe I'm actually here (I remember sneaking a peak at the module 3 handbook when we first started, seeing the 5500 word report and just thinking - no thank you!) My absolute biggest challenge and similarly to others blogs I have read was the word count. Someone once said to me it's better to have too much than not enough but actually I found this harder! For me it would have been easier to pad the report out with more detail but after re drafting my overview and analysis I was already at 6500 words - and that was without my introduction, literature review and reflection! It took me longer than anticipated to amend my word count without losing any of the analysis and reflection that I had discovered during the inquiry process. Eventuall...

Over and out... for now

 I can't even explain the overwhelming sense of accomplishment I feel after completing my presentation this morning but this photo of me in NZ from 2019 pretty much sums it up!! Firstly a huge well done to Jen, Olivia, Clare, Shelley, Katie, Roanne, Alys, Chloe and Olivia for your presentations. I feel like I have learnt so much from your short presentations alone and the information and ideas you shared were enriching and have given me even more to think about in regards to our wider industry! The journey I have been on throughout the BAPP course has definitely had its ups and downs and on more than one occasion I felt like giving up because I didn't know if I was on the right track or not. My advice to anyone in Module 2, Module 1 or even people considering the BAPP course is to try your best to be open minded to the experience and accept that there really is never a right or wrong answer. Reflecting on my journey has highlighted just how much I have grown as both a practitio...