Skip to main content

All things Ethics

Ethics, ethical considerations and ethical procedures in both my inquiry topic and in conducting research seem to be popping up all over the Module 2 handbook so I think it's time I dedicate some time to them.

I know that ethics was something that I only briefly touched on in Module 1 but the nature of the Module 2 inquiry means it is something I need to dig deeper into. 

Ethics is defined as a moral philosophy or code of morals practiced by a person or group of people.

Initially I struggled finding personal experiences that had a strong ethical implication. I had never suffered any bias or judgement as a result of my skin colour, age or sex and if I had i certainly wasn't aware of it. These are things that I will be looking out for within my inquiry topic as I narrow down my field of study.

Before looking at the ethical considerations surrounding my inquiry topic I wanted to look at the ethical considerations that are to be considered when conducting research (also because I haven't fully decided on my inquiry topic yet). A Module 3 student from the all module discussion group gave the following definition for ethical considerations:

Ethical Considerations - Things that will be affected/consequences of actions


Polonski (2004) states that there are six broad ethical areas that need to be considered in your research. 


1. Voluntary participation

2. Informed consent
3. Confidentiality and anonymity
4. The potential for harm
5. Communicating the results

6. More specific ethical issues


The one that struck me the most was 4. The potential for harm - my initial thought was that of course I wasn't going to hurt something, my research isn't physical or medical so why do I need to consider this?


What I hadn't considered were the three types of harm that Polonski (2004) goes on to outline below.


• Psychological harm—for example, researching the use of nudity in advertising may show participants images that offend them. 


• Financial harm—researching unethical behaviour within a given firm may provide management with information on individual employees that results in an individual getting fired, or undertaking industry based research may inadvertently share sensitive information with a firm’s competitors, resulting in financial harm to the organization. 


• Social harm—researching how lifestyle affects consumption may unintentionally disclose a person’s sexual orientation when that person wanted to keep this confidential.


Although I have no fully researched the qualitative methods of data collection just yet I am drawn towards using interviews as one of my methods. Here I was be asking questions and getting peoples opinions/stories and regardless of my chosen inquiry topic these are things I will definitely need to consider. 


The Module 3 student then described ethical procedures as things that are put into place to avoid a negative impact/or harm.


To me, this will be the steps I take, the things I actually do during my research and data collection to ensure the safety of my participants. The university also has ethical procedures in place in the form of the MORE application to pre approve our inquiries.


Having started to get my head around ethics a little more I now plan to spend some time fine tuning my inquiry topic, from here I will come back to ethics with a field of study that I can apply my considerations to.





Bibliography


Polonski M. (2004) 'Ethical Considerations' [Online]. Available from: http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/4999_Polonski_Chapter_5.pdf [Accessed 21/02/21]

Comments

  1. Hi Georgina, great blog about ethics! As someone who struggles getting their head around ethics, I really enjoyed reading about your research so far! It's hard to see how it's relevant to us now but I think ethics will make more sense as we start looking into the MORE form and discovering what we want to discover! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree - I always struggle to find a personal connection to ethics but I think when applying it to research methods I will find it a lot easier to understand xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Georgia I wish I had read this blog weeks ago! I also struggled to get my head around ethics and although I believe I have covered all these ethical considerations in my essay I always get nervous if I have made the points obvious enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Onwards and upwards... Starting Module 2

 I can't believe the blog I am about to write is about starting Module 2?! The last time I blogged I had just completed my first draft of my Module 1 essay and I hadn't even started my diagram - it's safe to say that my work/life balanced took a huge hit at the end of last year and every time I thought about sitting down to blog or read what other people were sharing, something else came up. This is something I am actively looking to change throughout Module 2 so as they say... onwards and upwards! The open discussion from Wednesday morning was the first I have ever been able to make - usually I work full days but with the current lockdown I have been lucky enough to have a little bit of extra time.  The discussion group was mainly made up of Module 1 and 2 students with a few Module 3 students which was an absolute godsend! I think I speak for every Module 2 students when I say anytime someone asks a question I would find myself staring through the screen at the Module 3 g...

Module 3 Submission

Firstly a massive CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who has submitted their work and to those still working - you've got this! Submitting my work for the final time last week felt amazing! Looking back at my journey from module one I can't believe I'm actually here (I remember sneaking a peak at the module 3 handbook when we first started, seeing the 5500 word report and just thinking - no thank you!) My absolute biggest challenge and similarly to others blogs I have read was the word count. Someone once said to me it's better to have too much than not enough but actually I found this harder! For me it would have been easier to pad the report out with more detail but after re drafting my overview and analysis I was already at 6500 words - and that was without my introduction, literature review and reflection! It took me longer than anticipated to amend my word count without losing any of the analysis and reflection that I had discovered during the inquiry process. Eventuall...

Over and out... for now

 I can't even explain the overwhelming sense of accomplishment I feel after completing my presentation this morning but this photo of me in NZ from 2019 pretty much sums it up!! Firstly a huge well done to Jen, Olivia, Clare, Shelley, Katie, Roanne, Alys, Chloe and Olivia for your presentations. I feel like I have learnt so much from your short presentations alone and the information and ideas you shared were enriching and have given me even more to think about in regards to our wider industry! The journey I have been on throughout the BAPP course has definitely had its ups and downs and on more than one occasion I felt like giving up because I didn't know if I was on the right track or not. My advice to anyone in Module 2, Module 1 or even people considering the BAPP course is to try your best to be open minded to the experience and accept that there really is never a right or wrong answer. Reflecting on my journey has highlighted just how much I have grown as both a practitio...