Skip to main content

All things Ethics

Ethics, ethical considerations and ethical procedures in both my inquiry topic and in conducting research seem to be popping up all over the Module 2 handbook so I think it's time I dedicate some time to them.

I know that ethics was something that I only briefly touched on in Module 1 but the nature of the Module 2 inquiry means it is something I need to dig deeper into. 

Ethics is defined as a moral philosophy or code of morals practiced by a person or group of people.

Initially I struggled finding personal experiences that had a strong ethical implication. I had never suffered any bias or judgement as a result of my skin colour, age or sex and if I had i certainly wasn't aware of it. These are things that I will be looking out for within my inquiry topic as I narrow down my field of study.

Before looking at the ethical considerations surrounding my inquiry topic I wanted to look at the ethical considerations that are to be considered when conducting research (also because I haven't fully decided on my inquiry topic yet). A Module 3 student from the all module discussion group gave the following definition for ethical considerations:

Ethical Considerations - Things that will be affected/consequences of actions


Polonski (2004) states that there are six broad ethical areas that need to be considered in your research. 


1. Voluntary participation

2. Informed consent
3. Confidentiality and anonymity
4. The potential for harm
5. Communicating the results

6. More specific ethical issues


The one that struck me the most was 4. The potential for harm - my initial thought was that of course I wasn't going to hurt something, my research isn't physical or medical so why do I need to consider this?


What I hadn't considered were the three types of harm that Polonski (2004) goes on to outline below.


• Psychological harm—for example, researching the use of nudity in advertising may show participants images that offend them. 


• Financial harm—researching unethical behaviour within a given firm may provide management with information on individual employees that results in an individual getting fired, or undertaking industry based research may inadvertently share sensitive information with a firm’s competitors, resulting in financial harm to the organization. 


• Social harm—researching how lifestyle affects consumption may unintentionally disclose a person’s sexual orientation when that person wanted to keep this confidential.


Although I have no fully researched the qualitative methods of data collection just yet I am drawn towards using interviews as one of my methods. Here I was be asking questions and getting peoples opinions/stories and regardless of my chosen inquiry topic these are things I will definitely need to consider. 


The Module 3 student then described ethical procedures as things that are put into place to avoid a negative impact/or harm.


To me, this will be the steps I take, the things I actually do during my research and data collection to ensure the safety of my participants. The university also has ethical procedures in place in the form of the MORE application to pre approve our inquiries.


Having started to get my head around ethics a little more I now plan to spend some time fine tuning my inquiry topic, from here I will come back to ethics with a field of study that I can apply my considerations to.





Bibliography


Polonski M. (2004) 'Ethical Considerations' [Online]. Available from: http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/4999_Polonski_Chapter_5.pdf [Accessed 21/02/21]

Comments

  1. Hi Georgina, great blog about ethics! As someone who struggles getting their head around ethics, I really enjoyed reading about your research so far! It's hard to see how it's relevant to us now but I think ethics will make more sense as we start looking into the MORE form and discovering what we want to discover! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree - I always struggle to find a personal connection to ethics but I think when applying it to research methods I will find it a lot easier to understand xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Georgia I wish I had read this blog weeks ago! I also struggled to get my head around ethics and although I believe I have covered all these ethical considerations in my essay I always get nervous if I have made the points obvious enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Literature review tips

First of all I just want to disclose that I have never in my life written a literature review, nor do I claim to be an expert on the topic. But I've spent the last couple of days researching what the literature review actually is, how it can be approached and the do's and don'ts so I thought I would put together this little blog that will hopefully help at least one other person. I could write paragraphs and paragraphs on 'What is a literature review' but if like me your head feels like its going to explode if you read one more book or article you might find this helpful: 1. The module handbook has most of the core information you need about a literature review - read it again! 2. 'Doing your research project' by Judith Bell and Stephen Waters  - Part 1 Chapters 6 and 7 has further information on Literature Searching and then The Review of the Literature. 3. If like me you've read all of this over and over but you still don't really understand  what

How do you link your data through analysis and reflection?

Tonight I was finally able to make the module 3 call and it was everything I needed at this point in the inquiry process. Before we started Helen read a excerpt from the KORTEXT  "nothing is lost, but we can get lost in it"  What we're saying here is that its not how we get the data for our inquiry, all research is valuable, but how do we figure out what to do with it? This was one of my biggest questions and the part of the inquiry that I felt I was hitting a wall with - the analysis. First of all Helen reminded us of some key points when thinking about the analysis section of the report: Do something with the data - don't include 'raw' data in your report, yes you can use quotes to support your themes but make sure you do something with them. Reflect on what research you have gathered - what relationship does the data have to the lens of your professional practice? What does it mean to you? Analysis is a process - more often than not you will step away fr

Onwards and upwards... Starting Module 2

 I can't believe the blog I am about to write is about starting Module 2?! The last time I blogged I had just completed my first draft of my Module 1 essay and I hadn't even started my diagram - it's safe to say that my work/life balanced took a huge hit at the end of last year and every time I thought about sitting down to blog or read what other people were sharing, something else came up. This is something I am actively looking to change throughout Module 2 so as they say... onwards and upwards! The open discussion from Wednesday morning was the first I have ever been able to make - usually I work full days but with the current lockdown I have been lucky enough to have a little bit of extra time.  The discussion group was mainly made up of Module 1 and 2 students with a few Module 3 students which was an absolute godsend! I think I speak for every Module 2 students when I say anytime someone asks a question I would find myself staring through the screen at the Module 3 g